Sunday, January 3, 2016

My trip to Vietnam

To those of you just tuning in, I've been traveling across the world in a series of nightly trips ranging from 4-12 hours each.

Last night I drove to Vietnam in a small BMW hatchback. At first I thought it was a Fiat, but as I pulled into the gas station I remembered that they only have diesel pumps in Vietnam. I filled my tank while talking to a man I was friends with, and in my distracted state some gas squirted out of the car. Oops! 

The total came out to be $1.72- I sure was glad they took American money! I went inside to pay and realized that I wanted some snacks.  I went to the counter and picked out a pack of cheese Ritz crackers, and since they were a dollar each, I figured I could just trade two packs for the price of the gas. Of course, variety is the spice of life, so I sought a pack of peanut butter crackers to even out my trade. Unfortunately, the only peanut butter Ritz crackers I could find came in unzipped zip-lock bags, so I questioned the cashier about it.


"Vietnam doesn't have the recipe for peanut butter, so people bake them and bring them here."

I was convinced. I wanted them despite there being empty and torn peanut butter cracker wrappers on the rack. But as I shuffled through loose refuse and free crackers, I stumbled upon something amazing. Ritz brand "Doreen's Whipped Peanut Butter Crackers". I was elated. I went to pay and
brought up my idea of trading the crackers for gas to the cashier. Strangely, she still insisted on taking my credit card anyway. Oh well.

As I turned around I noticed the line had wound out the door, and everyone was staring at me! I hurried out of the populated store towards my car down the block. Wait, my car was at the pump! I backpeddled to my vehicle with crackers in hand in lessons learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment